Thursday, May 10, 2012

"Stronger"

I have to make this extremely short and sweet, cause I am extremely tired and my eyes are closing no matter how hard I try to keep them open. But I must update because I keep meaning to and there's much to update on.

 Sorry if you hate lists like this... I do too - but it's the only way I can keep myself from getting completely scatterbrained at times like these!

  • Went to Dr. Hanel on Tuesday. Walked in expecting them to cut away a little of the plaster on the cast so it wouldn't hit the nerve and make my thumb numb anymore. Walked out with NO MORE ICKY CAST! :) Instead, a splint that just immobilizes my surgery finger and my middle finger (my other two are free to bend! yay!) I shoulda taken a picture of it, but I haven't yet. It's pretty weird looking, but it is SO much more comfortable.
  • To do this, obviously they took off the cast, which meant I got to see my stitches a bit early! Sorry to do this to all of you - but it's really not too gross, it's actually quite fascinating the shape of the stitches!
  • Sorry! So Tuesday I was in a lot of pain because they took my hand out of the cast, cleaned the site with stuff that BURNED, (the photo was pre-cleaning), and put the splint on. It was a lot of poking and prodding, so I hurt pretty bad that day. And I hadn't gotten hardly any sleep since the surgery, from all the pain. But then Tuesday night, a miracle happened. I was so tired at work I was afraid I'd literally fall asleep on my desk and be fired right away. I made it home at 4:30pm, went up to my bed, and fell fast asleep till I was woken up 6am the next morning. You'd think I'd feel refreshed after, but I've still been tired since then. The kind of tired when you can hardly keep your eyes open and you feel your head bobbing and you know you're gonna collapse...
  • So it's been a few days since that photo was taken, and every day I have to take the splint off and re-wrap it with fresh gauze. So I've seen it briefly every day since. I've been getting a little concerned and thinking it might be infected :( just as the pain level was starting to improve, it got a LOT worse. The area has also gotten redder and redder, and there's one spot that just randomly appeared sometime inbetween Tuesday and Wednesday, that's yellow and raised and quite unsettling. It's all swelled up more than before as well and feels a lot tighter (which I know might just be it healing). Anyways I'm thinking it might be infected, combined with how extra crappy I've felt the last couple days. As always, my parents have smiles plastered to their faces and say it's probably fine. I'm not so convinced.
Well onto HAPPIER things!
  • Officially registered for my classes at Lake Washington Institute of Technology today. Summer I'm (hopefully) getting my CNA certification (I'm 8th on the waitlist for the class). Fall I'll be starting classes towards an AA in Pre-Nursing. (Then of course from there I'll hopefully get into the Nursing program!) I'm really hoping to do my CNA stuff this summer so I can get a job as a CNA in a hospital in the Fall! College is expensive!
  • I've felt really inspired today. Although I feel like I don't have the energy, brainpower, or TIME (I've got so much homework!) I still feel very inspired to... I don't know. Create a masterpiece or save the world or something. haha :) it's a very good way to feel though
  • I'm hoping my "Fight Like a Zebra" EDS awareness shirt will come soon! I got it from http://zebra.spreadshirt.com/
  • My friend and honorary little sis Lauren is in this AWESOME video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihGCj5mfCk8 you should watch it - very inspiring! :)

Alright, gotta go for now. Funny how I originally intended for this to be a short post... Proud I was able to type this much! I hope everyone is doing well and succeeding fighting whatever battles life is throwing at you. We all have them. Remember - "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." So true.

<3

-Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Definitely sounds infected. Give your surgeon a call or go to your family doctor (if you have one) and ask about it. I wouldn't put it off, even a small infection could slow/mess up healing.

    ReplyDelete